Monday, July 20, 2015

   I wanted to take an informal survey.  Recently, my daughter and I attended a birthday party at a neighbor's house.  They threw a great party.  There were video games, a swimming pool, and plenty of treats.  Things were going fine behavior wise, too.  The problem began when my daughter wouldn't eat her pizza. I should have smelled something wrong then.  Usually, she doesn't eat much at parties I admit, but pizza is one of her favorites.  We had visited mom mom earlier that day and went swimming.  My daughter came out of the pool shivering but we figured it was just the cold water.  A couple of hours later, she was reluctant to go swimming at her friend's party.  She loves to swim, another hint mommy missed.  My girl finally mentions to her friend's mom that she doesn't feel well. At this point, I start to panic.  I felt her forehead and she was warm, not boiling but elevated.  Now I have no idea what to do.  I'm panicing a bit because I'm worried she may be contagious.  What if it's a nasty virus? I tried to sit her down and explain that if she wasn't feeling well, we should leave.  I had absolutely no luck and texted my husband for an assist.  Then I remembered that she's been taking bubble baths and she was in a public pool recently.  I calmed down a bit when I suspected a UTI (urinary tract infection).  She stayed for the rest of the party and seemed ok but I couldn't wait to get her out of there.  This was a Friday night.
 Saturday morning I decided to call our pediatrician and talk to a nurse.  I got the impression that we were most likely ok to keep her temperature down and just watch her.  Later, we went to a local farmer's market.  We love going there when they offer coupons and our girl absolutely loves their smoothies.  A few minutes after she finished her drink she was shivering and wanted to leave!  Finally, mommy woke up.  That's it, we need to call the doctor and get an appointment.  This was a Saturday afternoon.  Our doctor's office is great.  They have weekend hours.  We were too late for Saturday but got the earliest Sunday appointment we could.   By this time, our daughter had a full on fever and wasn't eating anything.  We get to the doctor's office and discover that a UTI was not the problem at all.  It's a virus.  They've been seeing a lot of it lately.  There was no vomiting and no diarrhea.  Yes, she was probably contagious at her friend's birthday party.  'It's everywhere' the doctor said.  So my question is 'Should I have caused a scene at a pary before I really knew for sure what was wrong?' Was I an a-hole for not pulling my six year old out of a birthday party and dealing with the ensuing oscar winning hissy fit? Has anyone else ran into this?  How do you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment