Friday, July 6, 2018

Fighting the addiction part 112

Spring break hasn't exactly been a break for me. When you live with a video game addict, days off from school can be difficult. I understand that I am not responsible to keep her majesty entertained. The problem is that, left to her own devices, she would have her face in a screen all day. When it's too cold or miserable to be outside, I try to come up with other options. Even on playdates I'm finding that my daughter's friends are bringing their own devices! There is some small comfort in knowing that I'm not alone in this. We have resorted to playing board games as a family in the evenings when my husband gets home from work. We are board game nerds from way back and I often wonder whose DNA this is. I also lucked out, at least briefly, in that the Easter Bunny brought someone a glitter slime kit. We are also still reading books, even if they are about video games, I don't care, it's still reading. It makes me sad to think of all the toys this kid has in our living room that are ignored because they are not video games. I have reminded our offspring during one of the millions of parental lectures that she has completely forgotten how to enjoy anything without a screen. It reminds me of a person with a closet full of clothes complaining there's nothing to wear! My husband and I have resorted to going to a small local business that sells used games and picked up a copy of a game that we, as a family can play. Her majesty must be dragged into it but I figure them's the breaks for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment