Thursday, October 22, 2020

Let It Be

   I've recently discovered this title isn't just a great Beatles song. Our circle of friends includes my husband's high school friend and his wife. They have a daughter the same age as ours. You would think that would be very handy, and for years it was. The girls played with each other at every gathering we had, it was great, built in entertainment! Enter the hormone fairy and that b**ch ruins everything. The girls are getting into the tween years and we are dealing with moodiness, to say the least.
   The last few times we had gotten the usual suspects together,  the girls barely said "boo" to each other. What's a mom to do? The short answer, as far as I can tell, would be to keep my big beak out of it. People of any age change as they get older, tweens seem to do it faster than tornadoes. I also can't force the kids to be friends per se. I was however, hoping they could manage to hang out together for a few hours. I have absolutely no time while I'm hosting a party to worry about her majesty's entertainment.
   We also have the issue of electronics manners, which, I admit, we need to work on. I am referring to pulling one's face out of the screen vortex long enough to be sociable. Some grownups also have this issue I know, but I try to model good behavior. One of the issues I've noticed we're lousy at is advanced preparation of our tech addicted kiddo. She has always had problems with transitions and remembering things. When you're dealing with a tween who's adhd you really need to write things down - on neon paper - in huge print - blinking if possible.
   It's a short attention span world and I'm fighting the screen addiction as hard as I fight  too much sugar. I'm having better luck on the sugar front. I've run into the problem of the fishpond we swim in. If I manage to get my kiddo off her screens for a while I run into plenty of other parents who don't. Too much screen time is especially bad for an adhd brain. I have to navigate other situations I never saw coming. If we're going to a party at someone else's house, is it okay to let our girl bring a device? We've considered it bad form unless I find out other kids who may be there have their screens! I tell my mom, "You old people had it so easy!".
    Some gatherings are better than others and I am wondering if maybe some generic written warning might be a good idea. If I have something laying around before I need it, that may help. I just need to find paper that blinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment