Thursday, December 3, 2020

The Dinosaur Blues Part 2

    Goodbye Old Bessie, I'll miss you. We had a good run together and I only had to replace your battery once. I'm guessing that six years is like 85 in phone years. It certainly felt like I was on "Antiques Roadshow" when we went on tour to various phone stores to see if you could be saved. Alas, it was not to be. The virus you somehow managed to acquire was too much for you. The infection cost us dearly. We lost photos, which was bad enough, but worse than that was the loss of contacts.
     Dinosaurs that we are, I still own an actual address book. The problem is that the information in it is as antiquated as my old phone. I can't say I was vigilant in maintaining the thing as time passed. I had to start somewhere to rebuild my list so I issued a "distress call" of sorts on Facebook. I explained the passing of "old Bessie" and asked those Facebook peeps that had my cell number to please shoot me a text so I could reestablish contact. Those that could and/or weren't relieved to be lost, kindly did send brief messages.
     The new phone, Hugh, is really nice but twice the size of the old one. I was used to fitting my old one in the front pocket of my jeans, now what? In addition to needing new chargers, I also am adjusting to new software, too. My texting app is different and occasionally Senior Google chooses to hide. It's easy to understand how we can get so attached to these things. Hugh is fast, responsive, and his screen is easy to read. I would have liked to stay physically attached to Hugh, though, so I won't lose him. Do I put him in my back pocket? What if I sat on him? I decided to look for a cross body bag that I could wear. Hugh's last name is Jazz.
    I had stopped using handbags because I know I have a mind like a steel sieve. If I put something down, there's a big risk it's going to be forgotten. Anything I can wear is bound to better my odds. Given how expensive Hugh was, I would say I have some skin in the game. Luckily, I found that I do already own one bag that works, although Hugh takes up every inch. It beats spending still more money on accessories. That was something that is never included or even mentioned at the store.
   Kids toys have print, albeit microscopic, on their packages that mention "batteries not included". Grownups toys don't include details like screen protectors, wall and car chargers, and basic cases. Has anyone ever just bought a phone? What was once considered a luxury is now a ubiquitous necessity. Very few people we know have "land lines". We still do. I am so old I still remember phone booths, dimes not included, sigh.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment