Monday, October 18, 2021

My soup brain

    Welcome to another beautiful day in the neighborhood. I'm sitting here racking my brain again to come up with a good topic for this post. I'm striking out so far. I try to avoid politics in my writing like the plague. I have a lot of friends on the opposite end of the opinion poll from me. I prefer not to alienate those people. Friends come in handy, after all. The problem is though, I'm currently undercaffeinated and bereft of ideas so here goes. 

    Last night, as of this writing, we watched a Presidential debate. It wasn't really a debate so much as a televised train wreck. My daughter, spouse and I watched 2 alleged grown ups interrupt each other and argue for an hour and a half. My daughter's Social Studies teacher asked the kids to watch at least some of the debate. I thoght this was a great idea for a handy civics lesson. When I asked my daughter about her class the next day, the biggest thing the kids seemed to have gotten out of the whole thing was that 'Trump looked orange!'. Sigh.

   I tried to explain to her, later, what a debate was supposed to look like. She asked me 'Why doesn't Obama run again? He was good.' I had to smile at that one. We were never huge fans but we did think he was tolerable. I told her he was wiped out from doing the job and probably didn't want it again. She was also quite young when he was elected.

   I can't help but find it embarrassing when grown ups, and especially ones in leadership positions, act like obnoxious middle schoolers. It's no wonder the kids didn't get much out of the "debate", they must have felt like they were watching two classmates. I'm also between a rock and a hard place here because we are in the minority, of our circle of friends, in our dislike of Trump. I suppose, in a way, this is a good opportunity for me to show our girl that you can agree to disagree with people and remain friends. We've been doing that for quite a while, actually.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment