Friday, August 17, 2018

Welcome to the aftermath - Again

  We had a record yard sale. Sometimes I think maybe we shouldn't bother anymore. The last couple of years have been good and the forced ritual of herding everything  that needs to leave in one place has been good for us. This past yard sale we also had a record amount of crap to get rid of, too. We finally had some friends join us with their items for sale, as well. It doesn't look like retirement is in our future. If anything I would be happy if we can get another set of friends to join us. I forget sometimes how much I enjoy our little group.
   Our garage sales are also literally in our garage and spill down our driveway. The downside is pulling both cars out and seeing them get coated with a lovely shade of yellow pollen. The upside is getting my garage cleaned out. Now that the sale is over, the work of putting together our donation for Purple Heart and putting away the tables and crap leftover begins. I also promised myself that once the yardsale was over I'll get to doing "X". We'll, it's over, so now I need to start working on those promises.
   I've often thought how can someone unemployed be so busy? I blame the house. The funny thing is, that while I consider our home to be reasonable, it is far from perfect. There is always something to clean that hasn't been touched in a long time. I don't remember dealing with this much when I had an apartment. Back then, however, I lived alone, too. More humans means more work. There is also the outside maintenance to deal with as well. Fortunately and unfortunately, we have a decent sized yard. Every spring it starts to look like Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom out there (for all you fellow dinosaurs) and I am the Marlon Perkins of the house.
  This year things are definitely taking a turn for the interesting since my "injured back" soap opera began. I am now on the glacial road to recovery and have to think about things I used to do without a second thought. Moving patio tables and lifting bags of mulch by myself is now verboten, according to my chiropractor.  God only knows how I'm going to manage to turn over my dirt for a tomato patch this year. I may have to do something crazy like ask for help! The really hard part will be trying to keep my trap shut when the "help" isn't doing it right!
   This may be either good or bad for us as a couple. My husband is expecting to be home for the summer this year. It could give me a good picture of what retirement wold look like. It will give us a good chance to catch up on some household projects around here. The prospect of working together sort of worries me. We will most likely have another yard sale in the fall. I may have a slightly used spouse for sale, cheap!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment