Thursday, August 19, 2021

The never ending quest

   Fall is almost here. I wish I could scrape up some enthusiasm. I am not ready to let go of Summer because I feel like I need more time to make up the fun we would have normally had. We managed, under the circumstances, but mommy guilt is blind to the plight of mere mortals. I do actually love the Fall. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Last year, it felt like Fall was 10 minutes long because the Summer weather continued well past September. Maybe I just need another month tacked onto my year.

   That doesn't make sense, either though. Most of us can't wait for 2020 to be over, and with good reason. We could all use a vaccine, some new jobs and a new President. This whole year has been like an obnoxious inlaw that won't leave. More fun still awaits, like when you think your diarrhea is subsiding. Halloween is in danger. I blame the grownups for this one. If you can go to the liquor store for homeschooling supplies, you can put on a mask and give out some cheap candy. 

   The pandemic is also threatening Thanksgiving and Christmas. I finally got a holiday to host for my family. I have two successful Turkey days under my belt. This year, however, I'm up to my armpits in high risk relatives who, understandably, may not want to come over, even for a free Turkey dinner. It frustrates me but I have to take what I can get. My core group of usual suspects are still willing to hang, so there's that.

   We do, however,  have one party pooper who is not even willing to go the polyanna route for grown ups. This was to cut down on people's shopping during a pandemic. I think this was the opportunity she's been looking for, personally. This particular person, while generally nice, was never what I would call festive. The little kid in me loves presents. I also enjoy finding them for people and wrapping them. It's not so much that I demand someone spend pantloads on yours truly, it's just that I have always loved having stuff to unwrap, however small and stupid. 

  I'm giving up, or trying to give up on getting any sense of control. While I'm at it, I should probably plan for technological screw ups and just pray they won't be epic. It appears that I'll have a better shot at getting out and trying to enjoy what I can, while it's here. Who's up for a pumpkin spice latte on the beach?

No comments:

Post a Comment